Tuesday, July 19, 2011

pre paying for med visit or dental visit?

This year I have noticed that every doctor visit i have been to aor taken my child to has been money up front services later. We do have insurance and do pay our bills....whats up with that is it legal? and am i just being overly sensitive about paying first? the receptionist will be the last person i see before i can exit any way.
--------------------
Good qestion. "Is it legal?" you ask. Yes it is legal to get the money before a patient is seen. I am a dentist and can tell you our side of why sometimes we do this. First off, some insurances are tough to deal with...I know some dentists that have to make constant calls and get reimbursed months later. By collecting the money upfront and giving you a receipt...we pass this headache to the patient. Understanding that the overhead in most offices runs around 65-75% of what they produce, it's important to the dentist to get that money on time. Secondly, while you admittingly have no problems paying what your insurance doesn't cover...many patients will argue and refuse to pay if there insurance doesn't entirely cover a procedure. Trust me when I say we know how expensive our product is...but so are alot of things these days including the $200,000 dental school bill I incurred. Having said all this I think it is handy to go to a dentist who takes insurance and doesn't require the money up front. I intend to do it this way but many dentists get as frustrated as you are with the whole process. Good Luck to you and try not to be offended. If it is too much though...then you may need to find another dentist. Update: Sounds like poor scheduling...I have only had one time when I was a half hour behind. Again...unless you love the dentistry..find another office. good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment