Thursday, November 25, 2010

Why are Dental and Vision Insurance separate from regular Health insurance?

Why are Dental and Vision Insurance separate from regular Health insurance? I have regular health insurance one me and my kids. I also have Dental and Vision insurance on just myself, because I can't afford it for my kids. They are the ones who need it most. Why are Dental and Vision not included on Health insurance? I'm not talking about for Braces or colored contacts, but for wellness check-ups, fillings, glasses if needed, etc.
--------------------
Networks are different for vision and dental. Also insurance companies are highly regulated by the state, and they can only write certain types of insurance, so if they don't have license for dental or vision, you have to buy that fomr somewhere else. Like the prev poster said, people who REALLY need dental and vision are those who will use the hell out of it, so therefore it is more expensive. For check up, usually simple vision exam is free from your health insurance. Dental is separate but if you just want cleaning then pay out of your own pocket might be cheaper actually.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment