Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dental Insurance Question - The Real Scoop?

While I am employed, I work at home for a company in another state, and the dental insurance options through my company were not viable. So, of course, I relied on the internet to research my options, and I looked, specifically, for "dental insurance" Lo and Behold, the stuff that came up, was for Dental Discount Plans. Upon first glance, it seemed like this could actually have been a better deal then anything offered through my firm. The conversation on the websites touted these plans, often with premiums of $7 to $20 per month, to be better than conventional dental insurance in every imaginable way. No issues in applying, no maximums, no deductibles, and no waiting. So, I am sitting here, reading how in EVERY possible way this is better than insurance, and it strikes me. If something seems to good to be true, maybe it is. If these were so much better than conventional insurance, why did my firm have so much trouble finding affordable insurance; they should have simply joined one of these "discount" programs. Well, the site even attached me to an "independent" article which BASHED the conventional insurance...Then it struck me...If I was a dentist, would I be happy joining these discount plans and basically getting 50% to 75% less for my services. Yeah Yeah, I am getting my payment up front and not waiting for the insurance to pay me (again, playing the role of the dentist), but is that worth the tremendously discounted amount (does not make sense when you compare the time value of money). So, I realized that if I were a dentist, I would not want anything to do with these plans...Or would I? Does being a part of these discount programs really bring in enough clients to justify that deep a cut in the fee schedule. Then I started to think...Is it possible that there is something up with these deeply discounted fee schedules I keep seeing on these sites? Are the fees just being jacked up and then discounted back down to the point where I might as well not be a member of the Discount Program, and just a regular walk in? Can I go to a dentist and ask them for the fee schedule, and then after the fact, compare it to the discount program to see that I am really getting a discount, and it is not some number playing farce. I would want to know as a dentist whether these discount programs are worth anything. I need some kind of coverage, and for the few self insurance programs I see, the monthly premiums are incredibly high, and yes, when compared to the discount programs, it seems like NO ONE would EVER join these insurance programs since they are more limited and more expensive...Yet....They are still in the insurance business. Will someone please give me the scoop...I need to have an affordable option here, but don't want to be duped into joining one of these discount programs. Thank You
--------------------
I am so glad I read this because I can definitely give you the answer you are looking for and you are right on the money! I am a dentist and I accept certain insurances and am very familiar with these plans and I can finally vent my frustration and reasons why to the world! You are absoloutly right. No dentist (including myself) wants or will join them unless they are absoloutly depserate for patients. The fees are discounted so low, that no ethical, quality dentist would join them unless it was to help out one of their friends or a patient that they want to help specifically and are willing to take a loss on. You see, most people think dentists make a ton of money (some do, ther is no doubt) but most people don't understand the cost involved just to run a dental practice. We are subjected to dental supply company monopolies, ridiculously high taxes, astronomical school debt and a myriad of other high cost items whichy I won't get into. The problem with participating with insurance companies is that you have to reduce your normal fees so much, that by the time you pay for your regular operating costs, you are barely even turning a profit. This is even more true with discount plans and usually, if you have a quality dentist, they would be basically paying to do your dental work. The only time when this isn't true is if they are using dental supplies or doing dental procedures that are subquality but legal, or just so rich that they can afford to pay to do your dentistry (or possibly so close to retirement that everything has already been paid off for them). I personally refuse to lower my standards and quality in order to accomodate ridiculously low fees. Because ultimately, though it is much cheaper for you, you get what you pay for. There is just no way that a dentist doing half-way decent work can participate heavily with a discount plan. That being said, your dentist is also not going to lower the fees to that plan for the same reason. You are better of to get regular insurance or just pay out of pocket. Be sure to check out the dental facility and get an overall feel for the practice. If something doesn't seem right, then go with your gut! If you get regular insurance, be sure to check all of the details and specifics, as they often try to put in hidden loopholes to avoid covering things. Hope that helps!!!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment