Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dental Plans vs. Insurance?

Up through my early 20's, I was on my father's state insurance (Aetna), and received amazing dental care. They were always thorough, caring, friendly, and did great work. You really can tell when they're putting in that extra amount of care, to get something just right. Once off his insurance, I bought a dental plan from dentalplans .com, and, despite switching dentists 3 times, received shoddy, uncaring work from ALL 3 (one Afghani, one from China, and one from India. Coincidence? I'm just saying.) They all seemed to be overloaded with patients, I felt like just a number, and the work done was not of high quality. Are dental plans only honored by crappy dentists? What's the reality about this? If you Google this topic, you can tell that most of the "reviews" are clearly written in favor of the dental plans. Is this nothing more than a massive marketing campaign for a low level product that caters to dentists trained in a foreign country or something? This couldn't be further from any sort of racist thing, I'm just going by my experiences and that's what it seems like. I don't care if my dentist is from the 5th circle of Hell! I just want a good one, who cares enough to do GREAT work. And now I need to go again, so I'd like to find out what the low down is, from people in the industry. Thanks, dentists?
--------------------
Dentist who are willing to accept dental plans as a forum of payment are, dare I say, despert for payment of any kind. With insurance plans, they'd usually get some cash and the rest of the payments later. With dental plans - they never know if they will be paid or not. If I were you, I'd invest in a cheap, basic dental package with a widely accepted pay base.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment