Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why are dental and medical problems not insured together?

I have a medical condition that requires I take prescribed drugs everyday. My prescriptions cause me to grind my teeth at night while sleeping. The drug warning says that is a side effect. This has resulted in broken teeth and other problems. I paid $500 for a night guard but that made my gums infected and even loosened some of my teeth. Meanwhile, I've spent roughly $5,000 on dental work while my health insurance continues to pay for the prescriptions the doctor prescribes that causes it. Shouldn't an effect of a prescribed drug given by a medical doctor also insure related problems from that treatment? Any doctors, RN's, insurance co people out there to answer this? Thank you.
--------------------
A night guard should not loosen your teeth. I'd have your dentist re-make it.... at no charge. (It costs them about $20 to make it, so he can cut his losses.) Anyway, medical and dental don't work together because they make too much money being seperate. You can try and get your medical to pay for dental.. but it's like pulling teeth, and mostly a waste of time. They won't budge.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment