Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why is My former health insurance company doing this?

6 months ago in October I had dental insurance through my employer. During that time my husband and I had several dental procedures done, all in which we immediately paid the copay and other not covered costs. Today I get a letter from them saying that I owe them $400 in 30 days because they failed to aplly the correct deductible amount on my claim. What can I do? I don't have ANY spare cash whatsoever. I plan on calling them and setting up a payment plan, but if I do that can they legally charge me interest? I was once under the impression that health care bills cannot charge interest because you would never be able to pay it off. Thanks for the help, I'm just blown away by this. What morons.
--------------------
Sometimes they won't know exactly how much you will owe until the claim is submitted to your insurance company. Any amounts you pay in advance are an estimate, and they have the right to bill you for any additional patient liability determined after your insurer adjudicates the claim. Legally, yes...they can charge you interest and late fees on medical/dental bills. Will they? Perhaps not, if you establish a reasonable payment plan and follow through with it.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment