Sunday, January 2, 2011

Would you go to a top college's dental school if you didn't have dental insurance?

I don't currently have dental insurance, but I just basically need to have my yearly teeth cleaning and make sure I don't have any cavaties. I am 28 and just had my first cavity (in my wisdom tooth though which they want to just remove, I wouldn't let them) so I have really good teeth. It's the University of Michigan dental school, would you trust them if they were just going to be doing basic stuff like cleaning, checking for cavaties, maybe (but probably not) a simple filling at the most? I am a little nervous but I cannot really afford the $500 per filling from my regular super upscale dentist. He's the best but his prices are crazy and with no insurance 2 fillings could be very pricey!
--------------------
Oh yeah. I've been going to New York University for all my dental work for years because of major money issues. I have serious dental problems and have been told I have the teeth of someone twice my age (I'm 31). I've had all sorts of procedures done at NYU including root canals. The only thing about dental schools is that the procedures take longer. Not only do they work slower but they constantly need the supervisor/instructor (a 'real' dentist) who is there to come over, check the work and give pointers. The students know what they are doing but the work still needs to be checked. It can get annoying because there may be 50 students on the floor and only a handful of supervisors. You could end up sitting there for 20 minutes, staring at the wall, waiting for the supervisor to get a chance to look at you. The students have to do a lot of paperwork. Nothing can be done without a signature from a supervisor. Basically, something that would have taken about 45 minutes at my old dentist could take up to 2 hours at NYU. More complex procedures may require multiple appointments. Oh, and you really HAVE to be on time for your appointment. Even showing up 10 minutes late can be a problem. They run on a particular schedule there and appointments can only be made for certain 2 hour time slots. Seems like it's one patient per time slot even if it's a quick procedure. Your student dentist will lose their chair to another student if you're not on time and there will be no where to sit. Sometimes, it can be weeks before you can get another appointment. At least that's how it works at NYU.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment