Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Taxes: can I write of my dental expenses?

I had a root canal and a crown put in last year that cost me over a grand. I'm a full time student with a full time job. I work with a temp agency so I don't get dental insurance. Can I write this off? I was in major pain and without the dental work wouldn't of been able to go to school or work.
--------------------
A little late now, but in the future, if your employer offers a cafeteria plan, you can put money each pay period pre-tax and have it reimbursed to you following a procedure. Of course, this plan is use-it-or-lose-it, so a little foresight is required - don't just dump hard-earned money into it if you don't anticipate any medical bills in the same tax year. Once your expenses are reimbursed to you, that's it. Uncle Sam doesn't even look at it. As for this year, you would have to itemize, and you can only deduct expenses above a percentage of your taxable wages. Best of luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment