Friday, February 4, 2011

Why does the dental clinic requesting my SSN when they can just use my insurance ID #?

I went to a new dental clinic which I have never been to. I was kinda cautious of giving out my ssn # to anyone I don't know since not long ago, my credit card issuer former employee stole all card holders info. Therefore, I told the dental clinic just use my insurance ID# on their database for, but the dumb woman told me she needs my ssn in order to setup the file for me, and then I insist not to give her and she then told me she can use the insurance id#....what's going on here?
--------------------
There are ALL sorts of reasons WHY NOT to give out your SSN to just anybody who asks, you do NOT NEED to give your SSN to your dentist, they can always refuse to treat you, but you can find dentist who WILL. My dentist does not require my SSN and they get paid by the insurance that my employer provides. There is NO need for your dentist to have that number!
Source

1 comment:

  1. I have worked in the Dental industry for years and can tell you this. It is a fact that some insurance companies still use the SSN for your ID. It is necessary in these cases if you want the office to submit claims for you. Also if you have double insurance coverage it is needed to help coordinate the benefits between the 2 carriers. Lastly, the office needs this info if they were ever to send you to collections. So, if you are paying cash upfront each time it should not be necessary. They will still ask for a drivers liscense or other picture ID. This is to help prevent against identity theft. It is done for your protection

    ReplyDelete