Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Should I elect to get my wisdom teeth pulled? Will my teeth shift or my gums shrink?

When i was a teen I had bad crowding and had 4 teeth pulled in order to have braces. During college, my bottom left wisdom tooth (they've all grown out) got a bad cavity, and since i was a broke student, I decided to just get it pulled out rather than spend a fortune on a root canal. Now i'm working full time and have good dental insurance. When i went in for a checkup, my dentist pointed out that my top left wisdom tooth had grown out further than the rest b/c the bottom one had been extracted and there is space. My top right wisdom tooth on the other hand sticks out a bit, causing me to accidentally bite my cheek from time to time. I was referred to an Orthodontist and advised to have both these upper wisdom teeth pulled to prevent future problems. My bottom right wisdom tooth is fine and doesn't need to be pulled. While I trust the dentist's advice, I'm apprehensive of having 2 more permanent teeth pulled, making a total of 7! I don't experience any pain of discomfort.
--------------------
Press your dentist for an alternative. If you are not happy with his advice go to a different dentist. Your gum will shrink and the shape of your face will be different. Avoid extraction wherever possible. But if a tooth gives persistent problems root canal treatments are not always a success and can give persistent problems. Perhaps try several more dentists for advice. It is you have to live with your teeth not the dentist. I have lost 3 of the 4 teeth before the wisdom teeth. If I had my wisdom teeth pulled I would be without any back teeth. Wisdom teeth can be an insurance against losing other teeth
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment