Wednesday, May 25, 2011

$10,000 worth of dental work.... is it worth it?

My husband came home from the dentist to let me know he has to have $10,000 worth of dental work done and that is after insurance pays for what they will. My jaw dropped! He has bad teeth and didn't really go to the dentist as a teen (his mom never took him) and the last 4 years he has not had insurance. He is 22. They are wanting to put 8 crowns in, 2 root canals, and some resin stuff from what I remember the paper saying. My question is, Is it even worth it? Or should he just get dentures? His whole family has a history of bad teeth. From his grand parents down, they all have dentures on both sides of his family from poor teeth. His dad is the only one that has his real teeth.
--------------------
Because he is so young, I think the 10,000 would be an investment. Root canals will save his those teeth. I understand your delima though, honey. 10 grand is a lot to wrap your head around . Maybe getting a second or third opinion would help, because some dentists will tell you there's problem that HAS to be fixed when there isn't even a problem at all. For example, I was told once I had 8 cavities, and the next dentist I went to only found 1. But because he's 22, I think the best choice is to get a few more professional opinions and then try to work on getting the problems corrected. and if its more cost effective, and he's okay with the idea, dentures could be the way to go. But dental health is far more important than people seem to realize (myself included) and if if these problems aren't corrected, it could potentially cause other health problems for him later on down the road. I say get a few more opinions, and see if the prices vary.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment