Wednesday, May 25, 2011

dental sealants for kids (on baby teeth)?

Can someone explain to me the importance of putting dental sealants on kids baby teeth. My kids' hygienist "strongly recommends" I get them for several of my kids' molars. I don't see the point when they are gonna fall out in a few years anyway. My kids have never had any cavities or other dental problems. My hesitation is because I'm a "working-poor" single mom with no insurance; so can someone convince me why this is a necessary expence?
--------------------
I rarely if ever seal primary teeth. If there is a cavity, it gets treated though--unless I expect the tooth to be lost within a couple of months. It is particularly important to treat decay in the primary second molars (fifth or last baby tooth from the front) because premature loss (average is they're lost about age 12) can allow the permanent six year molar to drift forward and block out the developing second premolar. If the second primary molar is lost early, it is important to place a space maintainer to prevent movement of the permanent 6-year molar. I know this is more than you asked for, but you need to know the dangers of premature loss of at least SOME of the primary teeth. Steve Bornfeld, DDS
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment