Friday, May 20, 2011

2 health insurance plans?

Currently I am using my wife's health insurance plan (which is very great) and not using anything from my company which states "We currently offer medical (including prescriptions) and dental coverage. The Company will contribute up to $300 per month to the cost of such coverage." What would you guys recommend in this situation? My wife's insurance plan is worth a lot more than $300 a month and it makes no sense that I leave it. What should I do in this situation? For instance, my current insurance deductible is $500. Could I add some kind of secondary insurance thru my company which would take that deductible down to $0? Thanks
--------------------
If you are happy with your wife's plan and assuming her company does not pay any of the premium for you and you don't have a problem with that then stay with your current option. If you sign up for your group plan your group plan will be primary. However the cost burden of using your wife's plan as secondary typically isn't cost justified. The cost of using your wife's plan as secondary is probably higher than the out of pocket expenses associated with your own group plan. Depending on your state and carrier in the event of your wife loses her job you may be able to sign up for your group plan without having to wait for the open enrollment period. You need to check with your hr people to on this issue.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment