Friday, May 20, 2011

Health Insurance cover mouth issue?

I don't have a dental coverage with my current health insurance . I recently went in for a cleaning and they saw a lesion they want to send me to a oral surgeon. I'm afraid if its cancerous I could be on the hook for a huge bill which wouldn't be covered if its considered "dental". I don't want to delay having it examined but I also don't want to ask my insurance company for fear of it being denied as pre-existing dental condition that I couldn't add coverage for. What should I do?
--------------------
Don't go to an oral surgeon - Go to an ENT. They are medical and in a MUCH better position to diagnose the lesion. If it turns out to be dental, you can go back to the dentist, if not, you will be in better hands with an ENT. *Edit - Just FYI - Cancer is never considered dental (even oral cancer) - It is always medical. *Edit 2 - DrMiller - It was an oral surgeon (followed by her GP that agreed with the idiot) that told my mom she had a strep infection for 4 months when she really had cancer. But even if they can biopsy it and diagnose it properly, he'll still end up at an ENT for treatment if it turns out badly, so why not skip the middleman that may or may not get it right the first time?? To Peter - Thanks, it was a long time ago, but I still miss her deeply. I wish you all the best and hopefully this will turn out to be something harmless for you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment