Monday, June 13, 2011

What is the difference b/w employee benefits (ie health & dental) and finding your own or through a broker?

I know it really depends on the company, but are employee benefits necessarily cheaper than if you have health and dental independently? Do people prefer one over the other and why? I am a new grad and have no clue about benefits, etc. I have a great job right now that I love but it is a nonprofit and they cannot afford benefits. I am currently under my parents' insurance but in a few months I will no longer be covered because of my age. Help? Thanks!
--------------------
On an employer's group policy, you're much more likely to have maternity coverage, and pre-existing conditions are not excluded. They have to take you, no matter how unhealthy you are, and charge you only based on your age. On a private policy, they don't have to take you, they're allowed to exclude anything you have wrong with you, and they're allowed to "uprate" you if you've got health issues.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment