Monday, November 15, 2010

I haven't been to a dentist in 6 years due to lack of insurance; can you please give me some dental advice?

1) I brush 2-5 times a day, floss 5 times a month, and use listering 2-3 times a week. Is there anything else I should be doing aside from this to maintain the health of my teeth? 2) I have looked pretty extensively for dental insurance. My job does not offer it, I can not get on state insurance, and all I can find in dental discount plans. Where do I find dental insurance? About how much does it run? Does it take a while to go into effect? Are the dental discount plans worthwhile, or are they a gimmick? 3) I get toothaches that hurt it places where I had cavities as a child. When it happens it hurts to floss or chew, are these new cavities? 4) How much does it cost w/out insuracne to get cavities filled? To get a check up? To get my teeth cleaned? 5) Whenever I drink, it hurts to chew the next day, is this normal? 6) I'm 23, my wisdom teeth haven't come in yet, sometimes its tender and hurts back there, is this normal? Any help is appreciated. Answer all or 1. Thank you!
--------------------
1) Yes there is more you can do, floss every single day if possible. It will definitely help. Also brush for at least 2 minutes each time you brush ( 1min on top and 1 min on bottom). Try to brush every time you eat and if brushing isn't possible at least swish water around your mouth to rinse it out. Try to go to the dentist EVERY 6 months for a cleaning. Most dental offices will offer new patient specials for patients without insurance. You can get x-rays, an exam, and cleaning for $99.00 or LESS! By getting your teeth cleaned every 6 months, it will prevent more seriously and expensive problems (like cavities). 2) Most colleges that have dental schooling will offer services from their dental students that are ready to graduate. These services are available to everyone and are going to be much lower in price than any dental office. The dental discount plans ARE A WASTE OF MONEY!! You can only use them at participating dental offices and almost NO dentist's accept them. I suggest if you do find a discount plan, call local dental offices in your area and ask if they accept that plan - I bet they wont. Another option is CARE CREDIT. It is a dental credit card that offers up to 12 months with zero interest. You can apply online. 3) Anytime you are having pain it is not a good sign. Is the area sensitive to hot or cold? If so, you will most likely need a root canal to stop the pain (or you could have the tooth pulled). You may need new fillings or its possible you may have sensitive teeth. You really need to have it looked at. Its impossible to tell what's going on without an x-ray. If it is just a small cavity it will be WAY cheaper to fill now than if you let it go and wind up needing a root canal. We are talking a difference of about 80 bucks to fill and over 1,300 for a root canal and crown. 4) Depending on the tooth and how big the filling is, the prices will vary. Silver fillings are much cheaper than white ones and they do just fine. Many dental offices say that silver does not last as long or they will tell you that there is mercury in silver. Trust me, silver is fine and works just as well. Dental offices just get more money from the white ones and they do look nicer. I have silver in my mouth and my husband is a dentist. There is NOT enough mercury in them to cause ANY harm. Silver fillings will run you between $80 and $150. White ones will run you between $120 and $250 (give or take). Like I said before, most dental offices run new patient specials for cleaning, exams, and x-rays for about $99 or less. This is an awesome deal considering a cleaning is usually around $80.00 and x-rays are about $120.00 and an exam is about $65.00. If they take a full mouth of x-rays those are good for 5 years and the little x-rays they take (bitewings) are good for a year. The thing that concerns me is that you have not had a cleaning in 6 years. You may need a "deep cleaning" or a "scaling" to get all the bacteria and plaque that has built up under your gums over the years. That type of cleaning WILL NOT be covered in any special. You would still be able to get the x-rays and exam though for the cheaper price and get a quote on how much more a deeper cleaning will cost you. A good way to tell if you need a deep cleaning is to floss and brush- if your gums are bleeding, sore, or swollen then you probably do. 5) Nope, that's not normal. You do need x-rays. 6) Yes. I am also 23 and my wisdom teeth are still under the surface. Actually, my wisdom teeth are impacted =( and it sounds like yours are too. You will probably need to have them removed and so do I! The fact that they are impacted is most likely what is causing the pain you feel. I hope that this helps. If you have other questions, email me at PhilandLola@yahoo.com =).
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment