Monday, November 29, 2010

If you can't afford dental insurance, do you think the dentist should give you a small discount?

If you don't have dental insurance, tell me how you can ask the dentist for a small discount or if he should give you a discount.
--------------------
Hey Jewel, I am a dentist and if a person pays for the service in full on the same day I render it I will give them an 8% discount (Only 4% with a credit card as I have to pay the 3-4% for credit cards used in my office). I don't do this for insurance patients because I have to collect the insurance payment directly from the insurance company and that takes a couple of weeks so I don't receive payment the same day. One person suggested Care Credit for financing treatment and that it a great suggestion. I don't work with Care Credit but I work with the Dental Fee Plan through Capital One which is very similar and I'm sure your dentist has some institution he or she works with- just ask them. I don't consider it tacky when a patient asks for a discount as long as they do it tactfully. Just say something like "Do you have a discount for cash patients?" Believe me cash patients are my favorite patients. Insurance companies are a pain in the butt to deal with and I have to take a discount when working with them, so I sure don't mind to do it for my cash paying patients. BUT...I DON'T GIVE THEM A CASH DISOUNT UNLESS THEY ASK FOR IT. Dr. R.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment