Sunday, January 23, 2011

How the heck does dental insurance work?

I called my insurance company buy the lady I talked to sounded really confused. If she's confused, how is that supposed to help me??? I know it varies from plan to plan. Here is what I know so far: I have a $2500 maximum per calendar year. I have an "80%/20%" plan (???) My deductable is $300 (???) Here is what I don't get: I went to the dentist, my bill was $306, my insurance paid for all but $28 of it... if my deductable is $300, shouldn't I have to pay $300? I do not understand the 80/20 thing, if I have a deductable too. Anyone insurange brokers out there?
--------------------
You should pay the first $300, and 20% of the remainder. But with dental, there are some things that are covered, and some that aren't. Say you got a flouride treatment - that's usually not covere - you'd pay 100% of that. But usually the cleaning and exam is covered in full, not subject to the deductible.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment