Wednesday, March 9, 2011

who determines if dental work is considered cosmetic or preventative? the dentist or insurance company?

yesterday i saw the dentist and i have 4 impacted wisdom teeth. two are completely sideways. the dentist and his assistant told me that my insurance would not cover the procedure to remove them because its considered cosmetic. i fail to understand how on earth this is a cosmetic procedure rather than preventative and because i IS a problem. i was given a referral to have them pulled from an oral surgeon next week but canceled my appointment because i want to make 100% sure my insurance covers it (the benefit booklet says they DO cover tooth extraction) and the woman at the place told me theyd have to see xrays and all that to determine how much id owe. so who makes the decision weather this is covered or not, because my dentist said it was cosmetic, while a few months ago another dentist told me it is crucial that they are removed!??
--------------------
Extraction of wisdom teeth should not be considered cosmetic. Its definitely preventive. If your impacted wisdom teeth are not extracted, it can cause you a lot of pain and even infection. The Dentist should prove to the insurance company that it is really needed for your well being. What does the insurance company know about dental procedure?
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment