Thursday, April 7, 2011

How to negotiate dental fees?

I have a 25-year old amalgam that the dentist says is leaking and needs to be replaced with a porcelain crown. My dentist's charge is $1900. Insurance will cover $390. I decided to book an appointment with a local dental college where the cost is $780. The front desk employee at the dentist office was upset when I asked for a copy of my X-rays. She wanted to know if I was no longer going to be a patient at that office. I said I wasn't sure, but I was worried about the $1900 fee. I would be willing to stay at the dentist if I could negotiate the fee, but I don't know how to go about it. I have been going to this office for 9 years and had major work done before. I've never negotiated before, but the price of a crown has gone up by 60% since I've last had one done. Any advice would be appreciated, and I understand that it costs a lot to maintain a dental business. I feel like this might be a lose/lose situation.
--------------------
The fee being charged for CEREC crown looks to be 40-50% high. Take copies of your X-rays elsewhere or the dental college where you have been quoted quite reasonable.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment