Saturday, May 14, 2011

Is it possible to still claim myself?

I support myself 95%. The only thing my parents pay for is my health, dental, and car insurance. I pay for my own rent, living expenses, tuition, health/dental fees, etc.I am 21 years old and live in CA. The thing that I'm unsure about is even though they pay for my insurance, does that mean that they have to claim me? Or can I still claim myself on my taxes since I practically am supporting myself??
--------------------
From what you say (assuming rent is 12 months) you are paying over half your own support and therefore can't be their dependent. The question of how they are paying your health and dental insurance is another matter. If they are doing it through an employer provided plan, there may be a question if you are not a dependent. That doesn't affect the fact that you aren't.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment