Monday, February 21, 2011

How long can I wait before I get fillings?

I recently went to the dentist after 3 years and had a cleaning. She used this new machine that beeps if a tooth has a cavity. She told me i have 7 cavities (I have not had a problem my entire adult life) so i was very surprised when i heard this. I have NO insurance, and im basically broke, so there is no way i can afford the $1400 for all 7 fillings. My questions are: Has anyone heard of this machine that detects fillings? what is your experience with that? Can I wait until January (when i can get dental insurance) to get this taken care of.....or will my teeth be in dire straits? I am torn and not sure what to do - help!
--------------------
First, I would get a second opinion. I've never come across a dentist who has an instant-detect machine... and would rely on IT more than his own experience. And $200 a filling? You're getting robbed. Seven cavities, when you've had none in the past is VERY surprising. If they're minor cavities, they may not need to be filled at all... and may correct themselves with regular brushing. Second, yes... you can wait... cavities, if they're well maintained (brushed often with a good toothpaste) can halt their progress. If they're not bothering you, then you have plenty of time. Avoid whitening toothpaste as it may further the progress (they have abrasives in them)... And good luck!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment