Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Anyone with dental experience, esp root canals? Need honest answers please.?

I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago because of severe pain that I was having from an upper tooth. I told them that I also had another tooth that the filling came out of and I needed a new filling in it. All they did was one x-ray on my upper tooth and the dentist came in saying that I would need a root canal. She then took a look at my tooth and tapped on it a little and there was some pain from her doing that. Anyway, she prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg and Ibupofen 800mg. I was set up with an appointment and sent on my way. I took the Cephalexin until it was gone but haven't had to take any pain meds at all since the day I went to the dentist. I do still have a little bit of pain in that tooth but not even close to as bad as it was. I only have a couple days left until I'm supposed to go back and have been reading a little online about root canals. I'm starting to wonder if I really do need one or if the dentist is just trying to get my money? She didn't do a nerve test or a hot/cold test like I have read that they are supposed to do. They also didn't seem the slightest bit concerned about the tooth that I said needed a filling put back in. They just went with the tooth that was causing me the pain. She said that she wanted to do a root canal and mentioned something about a filling or a crown for that tooth and also said that she knew that those things can be quite expensive. I have no dental insurance and really can't even afford to have the root canal. I definitely cannot afford both a root canal and a crown and don't want to get the tooth extracted. My question is, do you think that I should cancel my appointment for the root canal and just look for another dentist so I can get a second opinion? I still have a couple days left so I can cancel in time to avoid a cancellation fee. I'm just having alot of doubts about the whole thing. She didn't even look in my mouth before telling me that I needed a root canal. She didn't perform either of the tests that I read about. It's not like I just have the money to spend. The procedure will wipe out the little bit of money I do have and I'll have to borrow the rest to get it done. I don't want to go through with the root canal if it's not really necessary. I also have read that root canals can make the tooth weaker and cause more problems. I'm just looking for an honest answer to my question because I really can't afford to get ripped off. Thanks.
--------------------
It seems that she depended on the x-rays mainly..but u also said that she tappeed ur tooth (which means she looked at it :p), which is also a way of knowing if the tooth needs a root canal or not; so she might be experienced enuf and doesn't need to do all the tests...i do recommend, however, that u see another dentist for a second opinion just in case ;)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment