Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Is there any hope for the regular man in a dental office?

My regular dentist sent me to a periodontist to get two of my teeth supported as the roots had died and they were loose. My regular dentist wanted to do some more work on one he had performed a root canal on but wanted it and the other loose tooth next to it stabilized before he did any more drilling on it. So, I went, the periodontist looked them over, told me what he would do and some other nonsense he wanted to do that had nothing to do with the tooth stabilization and we scheduled an appointment. I was led to believe that my dental insurance would cover it, I was wrong. After I had the work done there was no mention of a charge on that day, not even a copy, nothing. I then went back to my regular dentist and he in essence told me the work was for not becasue he had now decided what I really needed to do was to have two implants put in at a cost of $2,600.00 each. When I told him no way was that going to happen he said he would do a 4 tooth bridge for $600.00 per tooth but that the insurance would help pay so I was at that visit going to take the bridge route. When I went back to the periodontist he said that bridge would not last because it would be anchored on one side to one of my front teeth and it would not stand the strain of supporting the bridge for very long. He wanted to do implants but when I told him what I thought of the cost of the implants, which I think they are rediculous, he then suggested he would do one implant of a front tooth and my regular doctor could then do a three tooth bridge to the implant and he would discount the implant to around $2,000.00. He said he would discuss that with my regular dentist and I set up an appointment to have some oral surgery on my gums and some scraping or something with the periodontist. Anyway, when I went to the office help to schedule the additional work they did some calculations and told me my next visit would be $62.00, still no mention of a cost for the work he did the last time. So, it's three weeks later and I went in to get the scraping done and the receptionist asked me if I knew what this visit was supposed to cost and I told her yes, $62.00. She then asked me if I wanted to pay right now or wait until after the service, which is strange, but I said OK. She then shoved a piece of paper in front of me and asked if I knew why I had $572.00 balance due on my account and I was amazed, not I don't have much of a clue. She turned me over to the accounts receivable people who said my insurance had denied the plastic work the periodontist had done to support the teeth and I was left with the bill. 1- Do I have any recourse against my regular dentist for telling me to have this work done and then leaving me high and dry and making no use of the work? 2- Do I have any point to argue that the periodontist hid the cost of the support work for my teeth until after it was done. I really was under the impression my insurance would cover it as they had covered all other periodontist work I had done? 3- If I can't recover my money who can I report this to? Angry in Alabama
--------------------
You need a Lawyer in Alabama.....
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment