Friday, March 25, 2011

Can I use my Health Savings Account to pay my portion of a dental visit?

I have a high deductible health plan and a Health Savings Account, but I don't know what it covers. How would I find out? Do I ask at the credit union or the health insurance provider?
--------------------
IRS publication 502 Mecial and Dental Expenses states: "You can include in medical expenses the amounts you pay for the prevention and alleviation of dental disease. Preventive treatment includes the services of a dental hygienist or dentist for such procedures as teeth cleaning, the application of sealants, and fluoride treatments to prevent tooth decay. Treatment to alleviate dental disease include services of a dentist for procedures such as X-rays, fillings, braces, extractions, dentures, and other dental ailments. But see Teeth Whitening under What Expenses Are Not Includible, later."
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment