Friday, March 25, 2011

How much should I pay for health insurance?

I recently started a new job and will soon be eligible for health benefits. Last night I was going through the paperwork to sign up. To my horror I found that for me to sign up (for medical, dental and vision) plus my wife and kids (the family plan) I will be paying nearly $600 every two weeks! This is almost a third of my take home. Does this sound right? At my previous job I was paying a little more that $200 every two weeks. Maybe I should go back to the old job...
--------------------
It sounds a little steep. However, nobody here knows how rich the benefits are, how big the group is, the ages and health conditions of the group, or how much the employer is kicking in. It sounds like the plan is very rich with little or no deductible or co-payment and that the employer is paying very little. You should call an independent agent to compare what an individual policy would be. Generally, a group plan is less expensive but if you don't need or want the benefits why pay for it.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment