Friday, March 25, 2011

Tax Implications for Adding Girlfriend to My Health Insurance?

If I add my gf to my health and dental insurance what are the tax implications? Am I just taxed on her portion of the premiums? Do I need to claim her as a dependant on my tax return?
--------------------
Assuming that the policy permits you to do that (highly unusual), there are no direct tax implications. Since this isn't a family member the premiums cannot be deducted as part of a Section 125 plan so you'd pay taxes on at least whatever her premiums were. And unless you could claim her as a dependent, you could not take an itemized deduction for the premiums that you do pay. You can claim an unrelated individual as a dependent if they live with you ALL year, you provide more than 50% of their total support, they have less than the personal exemption amount ($3,500 in 2008) in gross income, and your relationship doesn't violate local law (even if the law isn't enforced) and they are not a qualifying child of another taxpayer and don't file a joint return with another taxpayer.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment