Friday, May 6, 2011

Is my broken tooth going to decay?

Last night I got hit in the jaw, and the back part of my lower right cuspid broke off. It's broke from about probably half way down, to the top of the tooth. It kind of stings when I drink something cold, or when I bite into something. Is this tooth bound to decay? Or if I just keep up with brushing my teeth, will I be okay for a while? I don't have dental insurance, so I don't think I will be able to get a crown, or have the tooth repaired. What should I do?
--------------------
The outer protective layer of enamel is gone and the sensitive underlying dentin layer is exposed. This makes it more likely that acids and bacteria can penetrate and irreversibly damage the living (pulp) tissue inside the tooth, even if the tooth never becomes 'decayed.' The closer the fracture is to the nerve, the higher the risk. It may be possible to restore the tooth with a less expensive bonded restoration rather than a $1,000-ish crown, but this is not a situation to take risks with. Go see your dentist and make payment arrangements if necessary.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment