Saturday, May 21, 2011

What is the difference between HMO and PPO medical plans?

Whenever my health care providers ask me what insurance I have I can never answer. I know that at all my visits (medical, dental, and optometry) I pay a co-pay. Could someone tell me what the difference is between the two? Is one better than the other?
--------------------
I literally just went through all my benefit options at the hospital I work for. I chose an HMO, although I previously had a PPO. It really depends on your needs. From the info you gave it sounds like a PPO. With an HMO, the downfall is that you can only go to specific MD's and Hospitals within a certain network in order for your co-pay to be valid, but the good side is that there is a set rate for everything. I have a $200 deductible and if I'm in the Hospital the most out of pocket expense I'll see will be $300 (I'm planning on starting a family soon so that's why I chose this plan), our PPO option had a $500 deductible and about $2-3000, maybe more, out of pocket expense for a hospital stay. Plus the co-pays were higher for that one. And both plans cost the same. When I'm done having babies I'll go back to a PPO. I hope that helps.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment