Thursday, June 9, 2011

Am I understanding this CHIP insurance program correctly?

Being a Utah resident most my life, I'm often embarrassed by the fact that the state cares so little about poor people. For example, a family of 5 is disqualified from Medicaid if their income is greater than $777 per month! Who makes only $777 per month? Virtually nobody. Yet Utah legislators are constantly obsessed with illegal aliens, having passed some of the strictest laws in that country. Where are their priorities? Then today someone brought to my attention the Utah CHIP insurance program for children who have no insurance coverage. It covers virtually everything including surgery and hospital stays, prescriptions, and even dental! Wow, I was impressed and found that I had to re-evaluate the conscience of my home state. But then, as I was glancing through the copay information sheet, I found this statement: MAXIMUM BENEFIT: $1000 per year - Preventive, Basic & Major services per child, per year. Huh? $1000 per year? Are you kidding me? What kind of insurance has a maximum benefit of only $1000 per year? That's an insult to people like me who care about people in need. What's the point of covering hospital and surgical services, when the person will end up owing nearly as much as if they didn't even have insurance? Am I misunderstanding this maximum? Or is it for real? If it's real, the CHIP program is nothing to brag about! I read on their web site how the CHIP program could lower the number of uninsured kids in Utah significantly if only their parents would sign up. Well, yeah... if you consider $1000 real insurance! (P.S. Yes, the insurance does provide a little relief and recipients should be thankful. But it really is a token expression of compassion.)
--------------------
I think you're misreading. http://health.utah.gov/chip/ Here, I see what you're quoting. It's under dental. Maximum benefit under dental is $1000. That should be plenty to cover routine exams and the occasional cavity/filling.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment