Thursday, June 9, 2011

Is health insurance worth having?

I have been shopping for health insurance and I'm finding it hard to actually sign up. I have never had an issue with the public health system. I have not had to wait very long on a waiting list when I have needed operations. All of the major surgeries happen in the public hospital (in my city) anyway so hospital cover seems to be a waste of money. The service I received in the public hospital was as good as I have seen family members be treated in a private hospital. The only thing the public health system lacks in is dental and optical (you can get emergency dental with public health and eye tests and a small choice of frames with public). Looking at some of the health covers some are $2500 per year per couple and that only covers $1600 dental. Is it easier just to pay for a medical service if you need it as you need it?? Does anyone swear by private health insurance? Am I being a fool? Should I sign up?
--------------------
I read the first two answers, and I'm pretty sure they're from the U.S. Nothing is free here. A hospital stay + operation here runs into many thousands of dollars. An ambulance can be $1,000. Don't listen to us!! You need to ask Australians. Go to your local library. Here, the "Reference Department" of the library helps with questions like yours. They have more information than just a computer. That's my recommendation to you. :)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment