Friday, June 3, 2011

Confused about medical insurance for son?

My young son lives in Indiana with his mother, my ex girlfriend. I live in Michigan. I am court-ordered to have medical insurance on him - which I did until my wife was transferred to another location and I moved with her. My wife has added my son to her medical, dental and vision benefits because my new job doesn't offer insurance for 120 days after start. We didn't want there to be a lapse in my son's coverage. My wife's insurance is also better than mine (it covers 100 percent, $10 copay). The problem is the ex doesn't like that my wife's name is on the insurance card and Blue Cross Blue Shield will only put the policy holders name on the card. So my ex is taking out a private insurance plan on my son and she is paying for it. So my son will be double covered. I think that is OK, but... The ex has told me if I ever wanted to increase visitation or if we had to go back to court, I would have to reimburse her for the additional insurance ($250 month is what she/ her parents are paying for the plan - she doesn't work) since I am not fulfilling the court order to medically insure him; my wife is doing it instead. And the ex says it isn't my wife's responsibility. He is insured and you'd think that is all that matters... Is my ex right? Will I have to pay her back if I want to have more parenting time? Please help.
--------------------
I'm not a lawyer but I think your ex is full of it. Your wife is fulfilling the medical insurance obligation, yes.. but therefore so are you. You and your wife are considered one identity. Your obligation is being fulfilled, it was your ex's choice to get insurance on him. I don't believe you would have to pay her back however you may want to speak to a lawyer about to be sure.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment