Thursday, June 2, 2011

How can I file a complaint to my dentist/dental office?

I had been going to this dental office for the past 2 years. This year we went to our regular yearly consultation and cleaning. Everything went the same. I was just so shocked to received a billing statement amouting to $535. I never paid anything for cleaning/xray in the past. I called my insurance and they informed me that they are already out of Network. My dentist nor the dental office did not us that they were out of my insurance network. We shoudl have not done the procedure and not pay for this huge amount of money. They also did not inform us after the procedure. It was only when I called their office after I verified with my insurance. Is there also a chance that I can lower the amount I need to pay? By the way, I never signed anything explaining about the cleaning charges which we done the past 2 years.. Pls. help. $535 is a huge amount this day. I have not gone back to them and do the procedure if I know I will pay this huge amount.
--------------------
I agree with Grandpa Walleye for the most part. Here is the issue. Your insurance is a contract between YOU and your INSURANCE COMPANY! YOU are responsible to see if your provider is part of the network. These networks CONSTANTLY change their provisions and fee schedules and force Dentists to drop them due to poor reimbursement. You are responsible for checking with the office to see if they are in the network. I agree, they should have noticed your plan and informed you, but this is a COURTESY! Many offices file insurance as a COURTESY, the Dentist has VERY limited influence with the insurance company as we are basically "bill collectors" to the company. They will do everything in their power NOT to pay a claim, stall a claim, lose a claim, you name it! I no longer accept ANY insurance but will provide a billing statement so the patient can file. You pay the premiums, you deal with their stupidity! RANT OFF! I think the office should discuss fees prior to the appointment. Since you were not informed, please discuss the issue with the Dentist. These issues are usually handled at the "front" desk and the Dentist never hears of the situation and wonders why the patient never returns. Please discuss the situation with the Dentist, not the front desk. I think you will find a sympathetic ear and probably a reduced fee or payment plan. Also, you are responsible for the bill. I know thats tough, but it's the law. I hope this works out for all concerned. Dr. Dan
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment