Monday, July 11, 2011

Any advice on filing health insurance claims for TMJ?

I've had TMJ (jaw joint) problems for half my life, and because of job hopping I've dealt with a lot of health insurance companies. NONE however pay claims for TMJ disorder despite the fact it's not a dental problem- it's a joint problem, like a hip or shoulder! Problem is, you don't see an orthopaedist for your jaw, you see a dentist or other dental-type doctor who specializes in TMJ. And health insurance companies won't accept a claim from a doctor like that. If anyone has any input on how to successfully make a claim and get at least some benefit from my insurance company, let me know. Year after year I pay thousands of dollars out of pocket and get zero reimbursement- despite the fact I'm paying insurance premiums year in and year out! It's not enough of a % of my gross income to deduct from my taxes for some reason, according to my tax advisor.
--------------------
Im not sure how to help you but I can tell you there are some insurances that pay for it. My husbands paid for mine and now my insurance pays. They paid on my visits, my mouthgaurd, x rays, and pain meds. Call your insurance and ask if there is a certain billing code they should be using or a special form they could use. couldnt hurt to try.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment