Sunday, November 28, 2010

What's the Catch? (Dental insurance buffs) Why go with a PPO over a HMO?

So I've been researching dental insurance in my area. (S. Florida Metro - Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/Palm Beach) I've received a quote from a dental HMO that provides the following; Individual Premium per month - 11.95$ No Wating Period No Plan Maximum No Deductable. As examples of coverage; Cleanings are no charge. Fillings for one surface are 25$ for composite fillings. Standard silver fillings are no charge. Crowns run between 245$-300$ Endodontics/Root Canals run between 110$ and 345$ Periodontic services run between 110$ and 300$ for surgical services. Non surgiacal periodontic services run between 38$ and 65$ Dentures and bridges are fairly priced between 300$ and 425$ Extractions run between 30$ and 100$ The only place they really get you is with orthodontics. Now let's look at a PPO. Individual Coverage is between 30$ and 42$ a month for basically the same services between plans, with large waiting periods, tiny plan maximums, and really not that great of coverage. (Cont.)
--------------------
Great question. I recently was stuck trying to decide between the two. I chose the PPO just cause that's what everyone else has in the office. But the more I kept comparing the two, I couldn't understand why you pay more with a PPO if the HMO gave you more coverage. I guess I feel better about the PPO cause I get a wider range of doctors and I can go outside the network if I wanted to. That seems to be the only advantage.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment