Friday, December 24, 2010

Dental Insurance Payment?

3 months I had some dental work done for which I paid in full at the time. But today I received a letter from the dental provider saying that I still owe them money. Apparently the insurance didn't pay them enough; it seems that some of the work was priced above the maximum covered. The provider however knew all along what my dental insurance covers and what it doesn't. Is it my responsibility to pay now? What could happen if I just ignore them? It's not about the money (it's only $70 or so), it's just that I think it's unfair, looks almost like a scam.
--------------------
If your dentist is a contracted provider with your insurance company then you are not obligated to pay the balance, in fact, there is a specific and unbreachable clause regarding the practice of billing patients above their contracted co-pay. Call your insurance company before you do anything else and find out the truth. If your dentist is not a contracted provider then you owe the money and, your dentist deserves to be paid for the work performed. Also, it is very possible that you misunderstood, which is why dentists provide patients with treatment plans, even for one tooth, so that there are no misunderstandings later. If more dentists did this there would be no complaints of this nature.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment