Friday, December 24, 2010

Independent Contractor Dental Insurance?

I need a lot of dental work done but I don't have insurance. I plan on getting 6 Month Braces that I'm going to save up money to just pay cash for if I have to (had braces in the past but wisdom teeth caused crowding)... However, I need other stuff done first... Possibly a deep cleaning, wisdom teeth extraction (above gums), whitening, maybe a filling or two. I have no dental insurance since I'm an Independent Contractor. Saving to pay full price is doable but would take a long time, and to be honest the longer I wait the worse it will get. - Saving for the braces is ok since I'll need to go through everything else first (I'll have enough time to save atleast make 1/2 down payment - if not all of it). So what are my options? I've never had insurance before.. If they know I need work done with they refuse me? Do you make monthly payments or just pay the difference? Either way is fine, but I would want to know ahead of time.
--------------------
You need to look at the coverages. I've never seen any private dental insurance that pays out (covers) more than it costs, for an individual. Between deductibles, copays, coverage limits, it's probably not worth it. Look, on a FANTASTIC plan, you might have a one year wait for wisdom teeth, and 50% coverage, UP TO $1000. You could easily be left paying $3,000 out of pocket, for all four, if they are impacted and in sideways. MOST people only want to buy dental insurance, when they need work done. That's why private plans don't cover orthodontics, have long waits, and extreme coverage limitations. Your best bet, is to find a local dental school. You'll get the work done for cash, at a fraction of the cost, under strict supervision, by a dental student, with six others crowding around to watch.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment