Monday, February 28, 2011

average cost of dental implants?

why dental insurance will not pay for dental implants? why it cost alot?
--------------------
Your insurance company will not pay for implants. It's considered "cosmetic". I live in Maine, and I can quote you what my dentist charges for implants. I spend a lot of time in there looking around and bothering people, so I am pretty up-to-date on his fees. Plus, lately, I have this tooth fetish. Whatever. Anyway, first you need the tooth extracted - $150. Maybe you have done that bit already. Next, they implant the post - $1250. A titanium piece is inserted into the jawbone, and during a process called "osseointegration" the bone grows around the post and holds it firmly in place, just like the root of a tooth. This takes upwards of 2-3 months, sometimes as much as 6 months. They put a healing abutment over the screwhole - the details on that are sketchy at the moment. I need to read more about that part. I think it helps keep food particles out and encourages the gums to heal in a prooper shape. After the post is set, a crown is put on - $1250. C'est fini! Your local dentist's prices may differ. It's expensive because it's a long process, there is oral surgery involved, and healthcare of any sort in the US is astronomical. My sister is getting an implant soon, and she got a loan through CareCredit. Ask if your dentist offers that. It is hard to suddenly come up with $2500, but if it's spread out over a year it is more manageable. Just be sure you can pay it off in one year! Perhaps get approved for half at a time, to keep the debt manageable.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment