Monday, February 28, 2011

Should my 17 year old daughter have a tooth pulled?

My daughter has a cavity in one of her upper back teeth. I have 2 options for her. She either gets it extracted or a root canal. The problem is she doesn't have dental insurance. So I can either pay a very minimal cost for the extraction or go for the root canal and save the tooth at almost 1900.00. Will it cause a problem to have this tooth missing at her age? And the empty space will not be visible when she smiles.
--------------------
I'd do what no. 1 said and seek out a dental school--they have clinics where they offer low cost or no cost dental care. I myself would opt for the root canal... but hell I've spent three thousand dollars on my 6 year old daughter's PRIMARY teeth this past year and we HAVE dental insurance! I wouldn't mess around with my child's health...teeth are part of your over all health... it's not like it is something truly replaceable... you gotta care for your body and all it's parts. (She is afraid of the dentist and wouldn't let our regular dentist work on her...so things got worse...I had to find a pediatric dentist that uses "laughing gas" which is quite costly--and it took 6 sessions to get her problems resolved--including two extractions of primary teeth and then a retainer to hold the space until her secondary teeth come in.) I understand your reasoning here that its a big expense and who is going to see the tooth---but that tooth has a purpose... I do think it is ridiculous that these procedures cost so much money. Dental insurance really stinks--I'll tell you that! I covers next to nothing except cleanings and xrays!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment