Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I am currently in the dental hygiene program, and have to have 65 patients. How can I find patients?

I am currently in the dental hygiene program, and have to have 65 before graduation. We have to find our own patients. The clinic offers a 50% discount to all college students as well as takes just about any insurance plan. However, I am new to the area and do not know very many people. How can I find patients?
--------------------
Advertise. Place an ad in the newspaper. That's what my classmates and I did. At least we had a receptionist in the college who took messages for us. We also had access to voicemail. Approach strangers in the college and ask them. I found it was a very effective way to find patients. When I was in school, I had to pass a provincial practical exam in order to obtain my license. I paid both of my patients (the selected patient and my back-up) $75 to show up for that appointment. I didn't need to use my back-up patient because my first patient showed up, but someone else used my back-up because her patient was a no-show. If your patient doesn't show up you don't get your money back for the exam fee. Then you have to make a second attempt a couple of months later and pay the fee again. It was worth it to pay patients who were willing to be my exam candidates. I also did something sneaky and I don't regret it. The college just started charging patients for a cleaning and the system was unorganized. I used that to my advantage. They never checked up on who paid the fee and who didn't. All you had to do was sign their chart claiming they paid. I signed all of my patients charts even though none of them paid and I was never caught. It's easier to find patients when they get a free service.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment