Sunday, February 20, 2011

If I have physical custody and claim my son as a dependent can his father deduct his half of medical expenses?

I have full custody and pay for everything. I provide the medical and dental insurance. We split all deductibles and copays in half. He wants the receipts and does not want me to put on the receipt that I paid up front because he wants to deduct them off his taxes.
--------------------
Let the father file his taxes however he feels necessary. He will get audited, not you. Don' t give him receipts for anything you paid for. You may need them later in a court situation. I was in a similar situation where the father was to pay 1/2 of all medical expenses that insurance did not cover. I have received $0.00 for his 1/2. Change your mind set, and do what is necessary for this child. And don't do him any favors. Whatever he pays for he can keep his receipts and do as he likes with them. His finances are not your responsability. Always pay these expenses with a debit or credit card so they can reflect as coming from your own personal account, or check. You never know what the future brings and you need to cover they @#% now!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment