Monday, February 14, 2011

If I'm covered by my own insurance can my spouse add me to hers for additional (secondary) coverage?

I already have coverage. I recently got married and my spouses company allows me to go on her plan, which covers stuff mine doesn't (dental for example). Is it fine to go on her plan too? I've read stuff sounding like it's ok, and one is primary (my own) and the other is secondary. Primary pays first, then secondary. Is this correct? Do I need to contact my own insurance company when getting covered by this second plan, or is that automatic?
--------------------
yes you can be covered by two insurance companies hers would be a secondary coverage and would pick up where yours didn't. You will need to contact your coverage and let them know you are now under a secondary plan as well as advise your spouses plan that you have your own primary coverage. When you go for medical services make sure you advise them which coverage is primary and which is secondary. It sounds complicated but it's not so bad and in the long run it will help you out with medical expenses.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment