Monday, February 14, 2011

if you have health insurance through work & you change to part time, can you still purchase the same insurance?

I am going to change my hours at work from full time to part time and I get pretty good insurance benefits as a full-time employee. However, my company does not offer this insurance to part-timers. Is there a way I could still keep my insurance by simply paying for it out of pocket? It is Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and Metlife Dental. If so, how do I do this?
--------------------
There are two options. Pay to continue the health and dental insurance under COBRA. You will be allowed to do that for up to the next 18 months but understand that you can be charged 100 percent of the premiums plus a 2 percent administrative fee. "Pretty good" plans that are subsidized or paid for by your employer may be shockingly expensive when you are the one picking up the tab. The other possibility might be to see if the carriers offer a individual conversion plan. The benefits offered will not be so "rich" but you also won't have to be rich to afford the monthly premium.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment