Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Full Mouth Xrays...does your dental office do these?

I've been a patient of my dental office for nearly 18 years, during the most part of which I've been quite pleased. However, they've recently started recommending periodic full mouth xrays (FMX) in addition to the annual xrays. First, I am currently without dental insurance, so I lay out the money at the time of visit. FMX is rather costly. During the years when I did have insurance, FMX was never mentioned. Also, I'm not crazy about having so many xrays done at one sitting. When would FMX be necessary? FYI, I am fortunate to have nice chompers. Whether it be due to genetics, proper daily care, regular dental visits, or a combination of these, I do feel lucky. Aside from a few fillings and the removal of my wisdom teeth, I've had no other work. No root canals, no crowns or bridges, no cracked or chipped teeth...and no discomfort to lead me to believe I might have something to be concerned about. And I'm almost 40. Thanks in advance for any input.
--------------------
All dental schools teach FMX every 3-5 years. They pick up more than annual cavity detectors; tumors, cysts, abscesses, bone loss and several other things. It is truly the quality way to practice dentistry. It is a difficult thing to fit in a schedule for the practitioner. I loved working in a practice when they didn't require it because it was easier. Now I take on everyone and see how much we missed before. Approximately $125 every 3-5 years, not that much to prevent future more costly procedures. Radiation equiliivant, 100 x-rays = a chest x-ray. 18 is not much.-------RDH
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment