Monday, March 21, 2011

Is it safe to use fluoride rinses more than once a day? Three times a day?

Just wondering, cuz I heard a someone once say that fluoride rinses can actually reverse cavities, if they are small enough. I don't have any dental insurance, so I have been using fluoride rinses 2 sometimes 3 times a day. I have always had perfect teeth, but I am just being cautious, since it might be a long time before I see a dentist again. Just want to know that it's safe, because the bottle only says "once a day for 1 min...no food or drink for 1/2hr"....but then a person I once talked to said that the flouride in those rinses are nothing more than what your toothpaste can do for you. I don't know what to believe. But I can't imagine that this will hurt me since I spit it out anyway....however, is it of any benefit? I was also under the impression that you didn't need flouride after the age of 18, but my dentist said that they only do that because most insurance only covers flouride for 18 and under.
--------------------
Using the fluoride that often wont hurt you because the amount of fluoride in the mouthwash is low. It is a little easier to get between your teeth than toothpaste, so you will still get some benefit, but you only need to do it once a day. As for the whole only once every 6 months, the fluoride you get at the dentist is WAY WAY stronger. It is something you can only get there, not even a perscription for what you would get at the dentist can be given. There are perscription fluorides available for about 20 a bottle, but if you do not have cavity prone teeth, you will be ok.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment