Monday, March 21, 2011

What are some possible benefits of being a teacher?

ex. dental insurance?
--------------------
I love the payoffs of teaching....... Financially, the money isn't that great, but getting paid to do what I love is amazing... Yeah, the benefits are great if you're talking insurance (health, well/sick care, dental, vision, etc) but the benefit of being able to go to a place to work every day and know that I'm in a safe and supportive environment is beyond... Knowing that I am impacting the future gives me the chills sometimes! These kids are amazing, and all they bring into the classroom adds to the richness of teaching. No matter how much I have planned for my day, all it takes is one question to derail the plans and lead down a different learning adventure for the day. Benefit... not ever being bored! Kids are who they are, they show up every morning, happy, sad, glad, mad and they bring it with them! It keeps things unpredictable and exciting. Yeah, I may teach math, social studies, reading, writing, science, etc every day, but the deliver of the day all depends on the kids. Ever spent an entire hour talking in a southern accent (and I'm not from the south?!) It adds a whole new twist to the math lesson that was challenging half the kids! The biggest benefit for me comes in seeing my students succeed. Sometimes the success are small (they finally remembered to capitalize the sentence!) and sometimes they're big (they finally passed all their multiplication facts!) and sometimes they are unrelated to school, yet powerful beyond measure. The child who had been shuffled from mom's to dad's to grandma's finally settling into a happy routine... The benefits of teaching, if you love your job, really are hard to measure!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment