Sunday, April 24, 2011

Medical bills with no insurance?

I went to the emergency room after having pain in my side for a week a few months ago. They did standard tests, including CAT scan, and they said they didn't find anything serious. A week later I received a bill for over 5 thousand dollars. I sent them what they requested for a payment plan (bank statements, etc). I am willing to repay this debt but the problem is I have no medical insurance and I am a full time graduate student. I plan to graduate in june of 08 and hope to get a job soon afterwards. I am living off of a student loan but any money I have left over every month I would like to save for an emergency (car repairs, dental bills, etc) that may come up. My question is, do you think the hospital would allow me a moratorium (suspension of payments) until I graduate and secure a job (which would be in june of 08)? I am just afraid that if I can't pay them now they will sue me or take me to court.
--------------------
Alot of hospitals have an account with money in it for people like you. Ask to talk to a patient advocate and take it from there. AQlso pay 5 dollars a month. They say that is not acceptable but you are making some effort. Also go into the accounts office and talk to them. They can't tell what your circumstances is until you tell them. I wish you the best. liz
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment