Monday, May 30, 2011

How much can I expect to pay for cobra insurance?

I was recently offered a job that pays much more than my current job. The downfall is the employer is small and does not currently offer an employee insurance plans. I'm 30 years old and I've never had any major health issues. I know I can keep the insurance from my former job thru cobra law. But what will i expect to pay. Currently as an employee I pay 26.35 per each pay period (2 week pay periods) for medical insurance and 9.53 a pay period for dental. In summary i pay roughly 71 dollars a month to cover myself only (no dependents). the company i work for has 7000 employees worldwide. probably 2-3000 u.s. employees. How much can I expect to pay for cobra?
--------------------
"I know I can keep the insurance from my former job thru cobra law." Nobody has mentioned that COBRA benefits last for only 18 months. As you say your young and have no health issues I would apply for a new individual health policy now the difference between what you will pay under COBRA and your own policy that is customized for your financial situation will be significant. I've done that many times for my clients
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment