Monday, May 30, 2011

Is it okay to sign up for new insurance while continuing previous coverage through COBRA?

Ok, here's the situation. I've recently switched jobs and I have the option of keeping my old insurance through COBRA or signing up for insurance with my new company. For medical insurance, I'm definately going to switch to the new provider but for dental, I'd kind of like continue through COBRA until I reach my max pay-out and then switch to the new plan. (I have lots of dental work ahead of me, so I'll probably reach that limit in a few months.) The only problem is, I have to enroll to the new plan by the end of January or I'll have to wait an entire year before I can sign up again. So what I'd like to do is continue using my previous coverage, but sign up for new plan so that it's waiting for me when I cancel my old plan. I have not intention of submitting claims to both providers, nor do I intend to inform my dental office of the new insurance until the old plan is cancelled.
--------------------
You can have more than one insurance and in your situation. Any current treatments would be excluded for 1 year on your new plan. So I think I would consider looking into what you have going also. I actually have coverage from both my wife's and my employers for dental an vision so that we can maximize coverage. I have 3 kids coming up on Braces. Good Luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment