Friday, July 1, 2011

really bad toothache and no insurance?

I have a really bad toothache, but I lost my insurance in the past 6 months. The only other insurance I could get (through my school and not until this fall) doesn't cover dental. I'm really not sure what to do. It's my gums that hurt really bad just around this one tooth that I got a root canal in 6 years ago. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm worried it may be something big/expensive. I brush twice a day, mouthwash twice a day, floss daily, and use a waterpik daily - and have for years. So I've never really had any problems besides the root canal; which happened because of an accident where I knocked the tooth and it died. I've had it for two weeks now and I can't concentrate or do anything. It's a constant throbbing pain, and it hurts immensely when I chew on that side or when I floss around that tooth (though the gums aren't puffy and they don't bleed). The only pain killer that works is my left over vicadin from when I got my wisdom teeth out last fall (I try not to abuse it, I've only used it twice because I couldn't fall asleep with the pain). IBProfin, advil, etc. don't work; neither does clove oil or chewing garlic. Ice works temporarily, but not very well. I'm just not sure what to do. There's no way I can afford to go to pay for anything beyond a checkup - which really does me no good. Either they say, I'm fine, so I waste money on a checkup; or they say there's a problem, which I can't afford to fix. In a year and a half I'll go to grad school and they give you better health insurance then; but I don't think I can wait that long. I don't know what to do, does anybody have any ideas?
--------------------
Try contacting your local Department of Human Services or Health and Human Services. They should have a list of dentists who provide free services or services on a sliding scale fee. (With sliding scale you pay according to your income.)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment